Chemical or Radiation Spill
SHELTER IN PLACE AND CALL 911
- Report any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material immediately to the police department at 911.
- When reporting, provide the following information:
- Your name
• Name of material spilled
• Estimated amount
• Exact location of spill
• Any injuries
• Actions you have taken
- The police dispatch will contact the necessary emergency personnel.
- Vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination.
- If a building emergency exists, activate the fire alarm. Evacuate the building by the nearest available exit.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Once outside, move to an area that is at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUTED BUILDING unless authorized by police.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: If persons with disabilities cannot safely evacuate, assist them to a safe location near a building exit and notify emergency personnel of their location. REFER ALSO TO “BUILDING EVACUATION FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES”