Chemical or Radiation Spill
SHELTER IN PLACE and Call 911
- Report any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material immediately to the University Police at 911.
- When reporting, provide the following information:
- Your name.
- Name of material spilled.
- Estimated amount.
- Exact location of spill.
- Report injuries.
- Actions you have taken.
- University Police will contact the necessary emergency personnel.
- Vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination.
- If a building emergency exists, activate the fire alarm. Evacuate the building by the nearest available exit.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Once outside move to an area that is at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless authorized by the University Police.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: If persons with disabilities cannot safely self-evacuate, assist them to a safe location near a building exit and notify emergency personnel of their location. Refer also to Building Evacuation for Individuals with Disabilities.