SHELTER IN PLACE
A TORNADO WATCH/SEVERE WEATHER WATCH means a tornado is likely to develop. Be alert to changing weather situations and be prepared to take action if upgraded to a WARNING.
A TORNADO WARNING means a tornado has been spotted in your area. Immediate action may be the difference between life and death.
- If you receive notification of a TORNADO WARNING or spot a tornado, move to a designated tornado shelter area (look for a tornado shelter sign) or an interior hallway of the building, away from windows and glass, as quickly as possible.
- Stay away from windows and areas with a large expanse of glass.
- Do not take shelter in auditoriums or gymnasiums, as the roof may collapse during a tornado.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Protect your head and face. If possible, get under a sturdy table or other structure.
- Call the University Police for emergency needs only during this time.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: If persons with disabilities cannot safely move to shelter, assist them to an interior hallway away from windows and areas with a large expanse of glass. Refer also to Building Evacuation for Individuals with Disabilities.